If you are into software development you have heard the saying that the last 5% takes 95% of the development time. It is a very true statement and is unavoidable. Software (yes, even on the web) development is very tedious and time consuming, especially with the little details and testing.
It is because of the tedious nature of software development that I have decided to post some of the little tools and utilities that I use on a daily basis to make my job a little easier. Here are a couple of programs and scripts that I have found, a co-worker has built, or I have created that will hopefully be of some use to you.
- Autopop Pro v184.108.40.206 by Nate Smith - This little utility installs on IE 5 and above and allows quick population of forms with pretty good test data. All you need to do it right click on a page and select Autopop Pro, it does the rest for you. Email addresses will populate as @microsoft.com addresses/
- Screen Measure v1.0R1 by Oguz Karadeniz - Screen Measure is a utility I got from the developer of Autopop. It runs as a pixel ruler on the screen and allows for easy meaurement of layouts. Invaluable when trying to mimick a design as closely as possible.
- Space Out v3.2 by David Kearns - Kearns developed this utility and it has saved me hours during troubleshooting tables. It is much like Autopop but it adds space and borders to all images and tables on the page. It is great for seeing where you may have missed a table, colspan, rowspan, or closing tag.
- Page Weight v1.0 by Doug Gibson & Alex Santantonio - Another right click power toy utility for web developers. This will allow you get grab the entire size of your document and images on your document. It does not calculate the size of included files such as any .css or flash files, but does give you a pretty good idea of HTML and Image weight, doesn't include duplicate images in the weight since they are cached.
- eyeDropper 3.0 by Nova Vizija - Inetia.com - This is a utility that allows you to mouse over a color and it will give you the HEX, RGB, and CMYK color properties of the pixel that you are on. It is pretty accurate but typically just a tiny bit off. It also is sensitive to your monitor's and desktop's color settings.
- Notepad+ by Rogier Meurs - A better notepad for windows. Meant to replace notepad in windows, but won't work with all systems so be carefull with just overwriting notepad.